In today’s world, keeping your house clean and tidy is essential. Everyone wants a clean and hygienic environment that is free from contaminants and allergens. As a result, vacuum cleaners have become a necessity in every home. However, choosing the right vacuum cleaner can be overwhelming, especially given the wide array of options in the market. In this article, we will guide you through the factors to consider when choosing a Dyson vacuum cleaner and give you an in-depth review of some of the best models on the market.
The Importance of Choosing the Right Vacuum Cleaner
Cleaning your home is important for various reasons, including reducing the likelihood of spreading infectious germs, mitigating allergies, improving air quality, and promoting a healthy and comfortable living space. But, if you end up selecting the wrong vacuum cleaner, you may fail to achieve these goals effectively. A wrong choice could probably result in a low suction power or an ineffective filtration system that leaves you still vulnerable to bacteria and allergens.
The Purpose of the Article
This article aims to guide you through the factors to consider when choosing a Dyson vacuum cleaner, from the type of surface you have at home to the different attachments and tools you may need. Additionally, we will provide you with a comprehensive review of some of the best Dyson models on the market and their pros and cons to help you make an informed purchase decision.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Dyson Vacuum
Type of Surface
The first factor to consider when choosing a Dyson vacuum is the type of surface you have at home:
- Carpeted Floors: If you have a carpeted floor, you will need to look for a vacuum cleaner with powerful suction and an effective brush roll to clean deep into the carpet fibers.
- Hard Floors: For hard floors, you should consider a vacuum cleaner with simple brush roll or none at all as it could scratch the floor. Instead, look for models with soft bristles that are gentle on your floors.
- Both Carpeted and Hard floors: If you have both kinds of floors, you should look for an all-purpose Dyson vacuum cleaner that can easily switch between carpeted and hard floors cleaning modes.
The next factor to consider is Cyclone technology, which is unique to Dyson vacuums. A Dyson vacuum uses Cyclone technology to create a powerful suction that picks up even the tiniest dirt particles. When looking for a vacuum cleaner, here are the key Cyclone technology features you should keep in mind:
- Bin Volume: A bigger bin volume is also essential as it translates to less frequent emptying, especially if you have a larger home.
- Suction Power: The suction power (measured in AW) determines the Dyson’s ability to pick up dirt and debris.
- Filtration System: The filtration system in a Dyson vacuum cleaner ensures that the dust and dirt stay trapped inside the vacuum and don’t get back into the air or resurface. High-grade filter systems, such as HEPA filters, work best for trapping tiny particles, thus keeping your home’s air cleaner and fresher.
Attachments and Tools
Finally, consider the attachments and tools that come with your Dyson vacuum cleaner. These tools will help you clean challenging areas and surfaces, such as high ceilings, upholstery, stairs, corners, and more. Here are some essential attachments to look for:
- Crevice tool: This tool helps you clean tight spaces.
- Motorized brush tool: It’s great for removing pet hair, dust, and dirt from carpets, upholstery or matresses by agitating the fibers.
- Tangle-free Turbine tool: It’s ideal for removing pet hair from upholstery, carpets, and bedding as it reduces hair tangles.
- Combination tool: It’s also useful for cleaning upholstery and fabrics but with a soft bristle on one end to prevent surface damage.
Types of Dyson vacuums
The Dyson V7 is the entry-level cordless model from Dyson, and it’s ideal for small apartments or houses. It offers a 30-minute battery life and has a motor that spins at 110,000rpm. Other features include:
- A detachable long-reach wand that cleans hard-to-reach areas.
- A soft, fluffy roller cleaner head that provides efficient cleaning of hard floors.
However, it may not be as powerful as other Dyson models, which means it’s less effective when cleaning carpets or heavy dirt.
The Dyson V8 represents an improvement over the Dyson V7. It has a more powerful motor that spins at 125,000rpm, and the battery lasts for forty-five minutes. Other features include:
- A more versatile design compared to V7. It features a detachable long-reach wand and a detachable, motorized cleaner head for efficient carpet cleaning.
- A silent mode, which is excellent for times when you need to clean but don’t want the noise.
However, its bin capacity is small, which means that it may require emptying frequently.
The Dyson V10 is a vast improvement over the previous models. It is especially useful for larger homes and has more advanced Cyclone technology than the previous models. Other features include:
- A rechargeable battery that lasts for up to sixty minutes.
- A larger dustbin capacity for more extended cleaning sessions.
- The Torque drive cleaner head which can dig a deeper clean into carpets.
- A useful digital display with battery life and suction mode indicators.
The Dyson V11 is the best cordless vacuum cleaner on the market. It’s also the most powerful and has the most advanced capabilities. Other features include:
- A variety of cleaning modes to choose from depending on the floor type, and the task at hand.
- An LCD screen that displays a countdown to when the battery will need recharging, and performance reports for optimal cleaning.
- A torque drive cleaner head that adapts to changes in floor type.
- A twenty-five percent larger main cleaning head than the previous V10 model.
The Dyson Ball is a corded upright vacuum cleaner that stands out for its powerful suction capabilities. It features:
- A self-adjusting cleaner head that automatically adjusts the height of its cleaning head to different floor types.
- A unique Ball technology that makes it easier to maneuver and clean around obstacles.
- A large dustbin capacity for longer cleaning sessions.
- A HEPA filter that traps allergens and particles down to 0.3 microns.
Dyson Cinetic Big Ball
The Cinetic Big Ball is Dyson’s premium high power upright vacuum cleaner model, built for superior cleaning power on any surface. Other features include:
- A self-righting design feature makes it easier for the vacuum to be put upright if knocked down.
- Cinetic technology generates high centrifugal force and powerful suction for efficient cleaning.
- HEPA filtration system that captures allergens and other microscopic pollutants up to 0.3 microns.
- A variety of useful attachments for efficient cleaning, including the latest “Tangle-free Turbine tool”.
In-depth Review of Each Dyson Vacuum
The Dyson V7 is great for small dwellings with hard surface floors, hard to reach areas, and minimal furniture. Its suction power and battery life on this model are sufficient for its size but may not compare to other models with higher suction power. It does, however, work well as an entry-level model and works best for those who don’t need excessive suction power.
The V7 also comes with a wall-mounted dock that provides easy access and charging for the Dyson when it requires charging.
- Cordless design for ease of use and mobility
- Extended reach thanks to the detachable extension wand.
- Effective cleaning of hard floors and light carpets.
- Rapid charging time.
- Short battery life, giving around 30 minutes of continuous use per charge.
- Less powerful motorized head as compared to other models.
- Low suction power, making it unsuitable for deep cleaning carpets and high traffic areas.
- Small bin volume, requiring you to empty it frequently
The Dyson V8 Cordless vacuum cleaner is a step up from V7 and, by far, the most budget-friendly Dyson vacuum cleaner available. Its improved motorized cleaner head provides a deeper clean on carpets, and the soft roller cleaner head is ideal for hard floors. Similar to V7, it has an extendable metal wand and multiple attachments that allow for reaching hard-to-reach areas.
The V8 produces less noise as compared to other models, making it ideal if you’re cautious about the vacuum’s loudness. However, this vacuum may be insufficient for larger homes and some carpet cleaning challenges.
- Efficient cleaning with superior suction power compared to V7.
- Longer battery lifespan of up to forty-five minutes.
- Significantly quieter than other models.
- Easily washable lifetime filter
- Small bin volume, requiring more frequent emptying
- The motorized brush head is not suitable for high pile carpets and heavy dirt
- The battery isn’t powerful enough for prolonged cleaning sessions.
The Dyson V10 represents the most significant improvement from the previous models, thanks to its powerful Cyclone technology and extended battery life. It is excellent for larger households, and its noiseless operation is a plus. Additionally, its removable components make it easy to clean, empty and store.
V10 also comes with an impressive cleaning head that adapts to any type of flooring, from carpets to hard floors.
- All-around great vacuum cleaner for both carpets and hard floors.
- Produces minimal noise levels compared to other models.
- Larger dustbin capacity for more extended cleaning projects.
- Extended battery life that can last up to sixty minutes.
- The higher price can be a turn-off, especially if you have a limited budget.
- The bulky design may make it challenging to store in smaller spaces.
The V11 takes the performance of a corded vacuum and puts it into a cordless body. It is ultra-powerful and packed with smart features like the LCD screen that displays real-time information. The V11 model stands out for its intelligent cleaning system that continuously optimizes suction power during use, providing an efficient and effective cleaning experience.
The V11 model is also versatile enough to clean embedded pet hair, dirt, and any kind of debris, providing a thorough cleaning experience with more power and longer battery life.
- Powerful suction and large bin volume for heavy dirt and deep cleaning capabilities
- Smart sensors that automatically adjust the suction power according to the surface.
- The LCD display shows useful real-time information, including battery level, performance reports, and maintenance reminders.
- Improved filtration system.
- High price point
- The heavy and bulky design may not be suitable for everyone.
- Shorter battery life when used on the high power mode.
The Dyson Ball is part of Dyson’s upright models designed for carpets and upholstery cleaning. Unlike cordless models, it’s corded and offers unlimited power, making it ideal for those who want powerful suction.
The Ball technology makes it manoeuverable around corners and obstacles with ease, and the self-adjusting cleaner head works efficiently on carpets and hard floors.
- Powerful suction capabilities despite its compactness.
- The advanced HEPA filtration system captures allergens and 99.97% of airborne particles.
- Long power cord- 35ft for maximum reach
- The self-adjusting cleaner head automatically adjusts to the floor type.
- The corded design makes it less maneuverable and less convenient compared to the cordless models.
- It is heavy, which may make it difficult to manage for some users
Dyson Cinetic Big Ball
The Dyson Cinetic Big Ball model is ideal for frequent and comprehensive vacuuming. It’s built with Cinetic technology that generates high centrifugal force and captures even the smallest dirt particles.
It comes with lots of easily manageable tools and attachments, such as the ‘Tangle-free Turbine tool’, making it easier to clean and maintain the vacuum.
- Dynamic and versatile construction for all-round floor and surface cleaning.
- The powerful suction available works well on both carpets and hard floors.
- The self-adjusting cleaner head adapts to the floor type and then self-adjusts.
- The hygienic bin emptying system makes emptying the bin easier.
- The high price point makes it less budget-friendly.
- It is a relatively heavy vacuum cleaner hence making it less maneuverable, especially if you live in a multi-story building.
Choosing the best Dyson vacuum cleaner for your home and floor type is essential to ensure that you enjoy clean and fresh air. From the type of surface to the options that come with your vacuum, Dyson has an array of choices that cater to different needs, price points, and preferences. It’s worth considering your cleaning needs, preferences, and budget before investing. Having analyzed the different factors and reviewed the different models, we hope you can make an informed decision.
Recommendation based on your needs:
- Best for small apartments: Dyson V7
- Best for those who want cordless convenience: Dyson V10
- Best for optimal cleaning: Dyson V11
- Best for pet hair and allergens: Dyson Cinetic Big Ball
- Best for powerful suction: Dyson Ball
Dyson vacuums are high-performing, and the above models reviewed will ensure that you have a clean home. Before making any purchase, ensure that you consider the factors we discussed and choose the Dyson vacuum model that best fits your needs. With the right vacuum cleaner, the right attachments, and an appropriate cleaning schedule, your life can be more comfortable and hygienic.
References and Sources:
The following articles and sources inspired this blog post:
People also ask
Which Dyson vacuum should I get?
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you decide.
What is your cleaning needs?
Consider the size and type of floors in your home. If you have mostly hardwood or tile floors, a stick vacuum like the Dyson V8 or V10 might work well. If you have mostly carpet, a full-sized upright vacuum like the Dyson Ball Animal 2 would be more effective.
What is your budget?
Stick vacuums like the Dyson V7 or V8 tend to be less expensive than full-sized models like the Dyson Ball Animal 2. Dyson also offers refurbished units and sales throughout the year, so keep an eye out for deals.
What is the size of your home?
If you live in a larger home, with more square footage to cover, choose a model with longer battery life, such as the Dyson Cyclone V10. Otherwise, you may find yourself constantly recharging your vacuum in the middle of cleaning.
What type of cleaning do you need?
If you have pets, a vacuum with strong suction power and a tangle-free turbine tool like the Dyson Ball Animal 2 is recommended for picking up pet hair. If you have allergies or a sensitivity to dust, the Dyson V11 Absolute with its advanced filtration system is a great option.
What is your preference for corded or cordless?
Corded vacuums like the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal+Allergy provide consistent suction power, while cordless vacuums like the Dyson V10 are more portable and easier to maneuver around corners and under furniture.
Ultimately, the best Dyson vacuum for you depends on your individual cleaning needs and preferences. Consider your flooring, budget, home size, and cleaning needs before making your decision.